Open Data has primarily been seen in terms of large entities and ‘big’ data: Open Government, Open Cities. However, islands and other isolated communities have a lot to gain and a lot to give from an Open Data perspective. It offers the potential for them to transform themselves from data subjects to data producers and data users. This is an evolving white paper or ‘manifesto’ outlining the potential benefits of a more data-oriented approach both for the communities themselves and for the wider world. It also presents some of the challenges to enabling this vision.
This is intended to be an evolving document, all feedback and comments welcome; also pointers to related initiatives or examples of communities making use of open data.
Open Data Islands and Communities White Paper (20 June 2014)
Talks, publications, etc.
Where ODIC is the main topic
- Keynote on ODIC at SICSA HCI All Hands 2016, St Andrews, Scotland, 29 November 2016
- Keynote on Open Data Islands and Communities at EPCGI’2016, Covilhã, Portugal, 25 November 2016.
- Tiree Energy Data meeting, ECCI, Edinburgh, 18th July 2014. Slides of Presentation
Where ODIC is mentioned or discussed
- Computing on the Edge – Pervasive Displays for a Small Island. (A. Dix, 2019)). Keynote at ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays (PerDis 2019), Palermo, Italy, 12-14 June 2019.
- Rich Digital Collaborations in a Small Rural Community. (A. Dix, A. Malizia, T. Turchi, S. Gill, G. Loudon, R. Morris, A. Chamberlai, A. Bellucci, 2016). Chapter 20 in Collaboration Meets Interactive Spaces,
- “The Leaves are Golden” keynote at British HCI Conference, Bournemouth, July 2016
- Human Computer Interaction, foundations and new paradigms. Journal of Visual Languages and Computing,
- Margins and Migrants. Day workshop at HighWire, Lancaster University, 4th February 2016.
- The big story of small data. Talk at Oxford e-Research Centre, 10th July 2015
- WebSci and IoT panel at Web Science, Oxford, June 2015
- Long-Term Engagement. Keynote at Usability And Accessibility Days 2014 – Engagement, Athens, 10th Dec. 2014.
- The big story of small data. Talk at Open University, 11th November 2014.